Read Write Inc.
At St. Joseph’s School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centered round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Using RWI, the children learn to read fluently so that they can put all their energy into understanding what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences using punctuation
- compose stories based on picture strips
- compose a range of stories based on writing frames.
Below is a link to a video clip which shows the programme in action and explains everything, especially ‘Fred talk’!
Resources for parents can be found here: